POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Stone and Brick on non-flat surfaces : Re: Stone and Brick on non-flat surfaces Server Time
11 Aug 2024 15:14:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stone and Brick on non-flat surfaces
From: Charles
Date: 11 Aug 1999 20:59:53
Message: <37B21CF0.F2E8FBD9@enter.net>
Chris Huff wrote:

> What would this conical mapping be like? I think it would be exactly the
> same as cylinderical(You can't wrap a rectangular image around a cone
> without distortion.).

Yup, that sounds about right. Like trying to map a rectangular image
onto a sphere and wanting to avoid it getting pinched at the poles.
Cylindrical or conical mapping; Either way, it's gotta come to a
point somewhere if its on a cone.

There are two approaches to this problem, depending on the look the
poster wants... either accept that the map is going to shrink near
the top... a geometrically conical stack of bricks would have to
have each brick cut to narrow approaching the top, and get smaller
with each level anyway... or make a map of a single row of bricks
and fit this to each in a stack of cylinders which just happen to
get smaller near the top, making it more like a pseudo-cone out of
ever narrowing rings of bricks, which to my mind would look more
like what you'd be most likely to do if you were really trying to
shape bricks into such a structure.

Charles
--
http://www.enter.net/~cfusner
"...Then darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time,